2017 Thanksgiving Seat Belt CampaignStay Safe on the Roads This Thanksgiving: Buckle Up-Every Trip. Every Time.
Bennington, VT - As millions of travelers flood the roads this Thanksgiving the Bennington County Sheriff's Department is partnering with The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to share an important lifesaving reminder: Buckle Up-Every Trip. Every Time. The Click It or Ticket Mobilization begins at Noon on Wednesday, November 22nd and ends at Midnight on Sunday, November 26th.
In 2017 there have been 63 total fatalities so far on Vermont highways. Of those 63 deaths, only 40 people had safety belts available. The others were motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians. Of the 40 that had belts available, 21 were UNBELTED!. This is an unacceptable number.
"Year after year, we are devastated by stories of family members who are killed on their way to Thanksgiving festivities," said Sheriff Schmidt. "Nearly half of all drivers and passengers killed in crashes on Thanksgiving weekend in 2015 were not wearing seat belts at the time of their fatal crash. This statistic is just unacceptable when we know that seat belt use is one of the simplest ways to stay safe while riding in a vehicle."
Proper seat belt use reduces the risk of fatal injury to front seat passengers by 45%, and the risk of moderate to serious injury by 50%. In 2015, approximately 13,941 people survived crashes because they were buckled up. Fact:
- Males are more likely to be unbuckled than females in a fatal crash.
- Younger drivers are also at greater risk of being unbuckled. In 2015, 52% of the males killed in crashes were not buckled up at the time of the crash, compared to 42 % of females.
- 13 to 15-year-olds and 18 to 34-year-old age groups had the highest percentages (57% and 58%, respectively) of occupants killed who were not wearing their seat belts at the time of the fatal crash.
"Our goal with the Buckle Up-Every Trip. Every Time. seat belt awareness campaign is to save lives-period," said Sheriff Schmidt. "Hopefully, this campaign reminds Thanksgiving travelers, and all drivers, about the importance of buckling up-every trip, every time. Thanksgiving should be a happy time, not a tragic one."
Whether you're a passenger or the driver, riding long distances or short, please buckle your seat belt. Doing so ensures everyone arrives safely to their Thanksgiving destinations. Remember: Buckle Up-Every Trip. Every Time.
- Donation from the Career Development Center
- Click it or Ticket Campaign Starts May 21
- Bennington County Sheriff's Office K9 Millie has Received Body Armor
- 2017 Thanksgiving Seat Belt Campaign
- Bennington County Sheriff's Office K9 Millie to Get Body Armor